Sunshine Weekly Weeder Newsletter
15 December 2016
If you are signed up to receive the Weekly Weeder and have not been receiving it, here is a troubleshooting page to help. If this doesn't help, please let Sharon at email@example.com know. Thanks.
Fall Season Service Hours - DEADLINE 12/31
The deadline for completing and posting in the Green Binder fall season service hours is Dec 31st! Gardeners are billed for unworked required service hours (TSBVI - $50, Regular - $20 for first two, $10 for others). Check the Green Binder on the Sunshine Gardens website for both their required hours and the number recorded. Be sure and record any hours already worked.
Volunteers Needed to Water Herb Seedlings
Please email Jen Woertz (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you are interested in watering the herbs for the spring plant sale.
We need at least 7 volunteers. Each person will be assigned a day of the week to water.
You will need to water once on that day each week until the plant sale in March.
Currently the herbs are in the SCG greenhouse.
Some will be moved to the TSBVI greenhouse in January once they are transferred to larger pots.
Currently, it takes about 10 minutes to water the herbs, but once they are in both greenhouses, it will take about 45 minutes to water.
Please specify the days of the week you are available when you reply.
Workday Report & Thanks!
We had a tremendous turnout for both of the workdays this past weekend - about 30 people Saturday and 20 on Sunday.
Whew! A huge number of outstanding tasks were checked off the SCG "Honey Do" list.
Thanks to everyone who came out - too many to list here - but especially to those of you who did not need more hours and came out to help anyway...true community spirit!
There was a lot of camaraderie both on the job and around the holiday refreshments table in the trailer.
Special thanks to Matt Birkner, who ran the "hackberry stump digging crew",
and his wife Karen who both worked Saturday and Sunday without needing the hours.
They were among several people who worked very hard both days. Thanks to all of you!
*** Please log your hours in virtual green binder ***
* Your sign-in for the day does not log your hours! *
If you still need hours before the 12/31 deadline, the available tasks include:
- Clean both trailer bathrooms
- Clean the trailer library and storeroom
- Sweep and mop entire trailer floor
- Clean the Tool Shed
- Re-mulching common paths as needed
- Mowing and edging as need (if near fencing counts for TBVSI hour)
- Detailed weeding of south fence (fence fronting the TBVSI warehouses) from the middle, near the "white tank", westward to the southwest corner (counts for TBVSI hour)
Micah 6 Holiday Donations
There is a basket in the trailer for food donations for Micah. Please bring canned and non-perishable items.
Opportunity for matching donations
Alert gardeners have been able to obtain matching donations for Sunshine Community Gardens from the companies where they work.
Microsoft and Dell have donation-matching programs and there may be others.
Thanks to gardener Susan Kittleson, we have successfully registered with Benevity, which is used by many Fortune 500 companies such as Apple, Google and Samsung to ensure charities are eligible.
Donations are given to the Gardens in the amount of $25 for each volunteer hour worked. Matching funds for plot fees may be more restricted.
Please check with your Human Resources Department to find out the conditions and any paperwork needed to participate in the program.
Many companies require submission by the end of the year.
The SCG treasurer will be happy to assist.
Results from 2013 Sunshine Bee Study
A graduate student at UT studied urban pollinators in May, June and July of 2013 and provided this information.
She will also be providing a laminated poster to display at SCG. It's great to see the diversity in pollinators here at Sunshine. More information
Featured Gardener Articles
If you are interested in being a featured gardener in the Weekly Weeder please fill out the survey.
Should you have any content to add to the Weeder email your articles or suggestions to email@example.com.
Officer and Zone Coordinator Contacts - Sunshine Gardens
- President - Jeff Monks firstname.lastname@example.org
- Vice President - Jim Willmann email@example.com
- Secretary - Polly Porter firstname.lastname@example.org
- Treasurer - Caroline Limaye email@example.com
- Director - Bill Cason firstname.lastname@example.org
- Director - Lori Dobbin email@example.com
- Director - Randy Thompson firstname.lastname@example.org
Email the board.
- Zone 1, Martin Morales email@example.com
- Zone 2, Katy Davis firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 3, Ludmila Voskov email@example.com
- Zone 4, Ila Falvey firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 5, Mary Gifford email@example.com
- Zone 6, Charlotte Jernigan firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 7, Maria and Philip Wiley email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 8, Shannon Posern email@example.com
- Zone 9, Kerry Howell firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 10, Christopher Schroder
Karl Arcuri email@example.com
- Weekly Weeder Newsletter - Polly Porter firstname.lastname@example.org
- Plant Sale - Randy Thompson & Janet Adams jartdaht@gmailcom
- TSBVI Liaison & Volunteer Coordinator - Janet Adams jartdaht@gmailcom
- Plot Assignment - Kay McMurry email@example.com
- Compost Coordinator - Janet Adams firstname.lastname@example.org
- Education Committee - Shannon Posern email@example.com
- Carpentry & Repairs - Robert Jarry firstname.lastname@example.org
- Water Leak Repairs - Steve Schulz email@example.com
- Tools & Wheelbarrows - Bob Easter firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kitchen Supplies - Anita Keese
(If supplies are needed for events, contact by email or at 512-773-2178)
- Compost Tea - Jennifer Woertz email@example.com
- Micah 6 - Dana Kuykendall firstname.lastname@example.org
- Micah 6 - Mary Gifford email@example.com
- Website Coordinator - Sharon Rempert firstname.lastname@example.org
Record Service Hours Online - Green Binder