Sunshine Weekly Weeder Newsletter
6 November 2013
Work Day Scheduled
Saturday 23rd November, 10:00 am - 12:00 pm, Meet at the office trailer.
- Cleaning the trailer
- Weeding, and more.
If you have suggestions, please contact the work coordinators:
Irina Kadukova at email@example.com
Mary Gifford at firstname.lastname@example.org
Katy Davis at email@example.com
Come help keep our garden beautiful & fulfill your work hours.
Gardeners Thinning Perennials? - Consider Donating Extras to the Spring Plant Sale
Fall is a good time for dividing perennials and many other plants. Consider 'passing-along' your extras to Sunshine Community Gardens for the Spring Sale and Fundraiser. Bring your 'pass-alongs' to the hoop house that's white with green trim. If you'd prefer to pot up your offerings at Sunshine, we'll soon have pots and potting soil available.
If you have tropicals that you'd like to donate it may be a bit tricky to successfully overwinter them at Sunshine (when and if we have a freeze this winter) so consider potting them up now but bringing them in a little closer to the sale.
Compost piles are heating up!
We have started a new compost pile to the south of the existing one. Please put your compostables in the small pile and do not add anything to the large pile or take away any compost. It needs to cook. We will soon be getting a few hundred pounds of compostable materials each week from the East Side Compost Pedallers. Also, please take all the inorganic material to the dumpster when screening and taking compost for your plot.
For Your Calendars
Saturday 9 November 9:00am - 12:00pm
1210 Rosewood Ave, Austin 78702
A garden maintenance workshop sponsored by the Green Corn Project, covering thinning, mulching, weed and pest control, diseases and fertilizing. Contact Green Corn to register
Saturday 9 November - 2 workshops
Natural Gardener outside under a canopy:
- 10:00 am Workshop 1 Why Organic is Better by Jeff Ferris
- 11:30 am Workshop 2 Organic Veggie Gardening by Rosina Newton
For more information check the Natural Gardener Website.
Monday November 11th at Zilker Botanical Gardens 6:30 pm
The Austin Organic Gardeners present a talk by Patrick Van Haren about biochar, what is it and its use as a soil amendment to build a stronger eco-system.
Some Useful Sites for Organic Vegetable Gardening:
- organic-center.org -- The Organic Center bringing y0u the science behind organic
- dirtdoctor.com -- Howard Garret's site about Texas organic gardening
- gardeninglaunchpad.com -- A list of sites for the home gardener
- aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu -- Texas A & M horticulture site
- fadr.msu.ru/rodale -- The Rodale Institute and Organic Gardening Magazine
- texasgardener.com -- A magazine for Texas gardeners
- acresusa.com -- A voice for Eco-Agriculture
What to Plant in November:
Early - Mid Month: Carrot, Mustard, Chard, and Turnip
All Month: Lettuce Kale, Spinach, Radish.
Thought for the week
Gardening is about enjoying the smell of things growing in the soil, getting dirty without feeling guilty, and generally taking the time to soak up a little peace and serenity.
Lindley Karstens, noproblemgarden.com
Officer and Zone Coordinator Contacts - Sunshine Garden
- President - Ila Falvey firstname.lastname@example.org
- Vice-President - Janet Adams email@example.com
- Secretary - Berk Bettis firstname.lastname@example.org
- Treasurer - Jack Reynolds email@example.com
- Director - Michael Hall firstname.lastname@example.org
- Director - Kay McMurry email@example.com
- Director - Emily Tisinger firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 1, Jody Trendler email@example.com
- Zone 2, Katy Davis firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 3, Ludmila Voskov email@example.com
- Zone 4, Ila Falvey firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 5, Mary Gifford email@example.com
- Zone 6, Charlotte Jernigan firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 7, Jing Li email@example.com
- Zone 8, Irina Kaducova firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 9, Cheryl Hazeltine email@example.com
- Zone 10, Christopher Schroder firstname.lastname@example.org
- Weekly Weeder Newsletter - Margaret Powis email@example.com
- Plant Sale - Michael Hall firstname.lastname@example.org
- TSBVI Liason & Volunteer Coordinator - Janet Adams jartdaht@gmailcom
- Plot Rental - Kay McMurry email@example.com
- Carpentry & Repairs - Robert Jarry firstname.lastname@example.org
- Water Leak Repairs - Stewart Nichols email@example.com
- Tools & Wheelbarrows - Bob Easter firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website Coordinator - Sharon Rempert email@example.com
Record Service Hours Online - the Virtual Green Binder