Sunshine Weekly Weeder Newsletter
22 October 2014
Rabbits are Back
Many of you will be relieved to know that several rabbits have been caught this week. There are, however, more rabbits out there, so there are many live-catch traps out in the gardens.
If you spot any animals of any kind in the traps, please send a text message to the telephone number on the trap, or email Stewart at email@example.com.
Also, please report any NEW rabbit sightings to the above address, giving the date/time seen, and where seen, including plot number if known.
If you are interested or willing to help please contact Stewart at firstname.lastname@example.org.Inline image 1
The rabbits appear to be hiding in some of the heavily weed covered gardens. While it is not necessary to have a plot completely cleared, gardeners should make sure that any weed vegetation does not get higher than four inches and provide rabbit cover.
Deadline for completing AND SUBMITTING fall season work hours is December 31. Remember, all accounting for hours and fees is done through the primary gardener's name.
Coming January 1! All hours will be recorded on our website, via the Virtual Green Binder. The green binder in the shed will be retired. Tutorials in how to use the Virtual Green Binder will be held prior to January 1.
They are rising again. They tend to go deeper in the ground during the summer to avoid the heat. There is "Come and Get it" bait in the tool shed. Please read the instructions for application. Place the bait around the mound not on it. Use a moderate amount (follow instructions) and return to shed after use. This bait is approved for organic vegetable gardens.
More TSBVI News
Do you want to spread your knowledge to TSBVI students? If you would be interested in talking to a class about the chickens, bees, or maybe something else get in contact with Nicole, at email@example.com.
T-Shirt design contest for Sunshine Community Garden
T-shirt design guidelines:
- One color design
- Must include "Sunshine Community Garden"
- Nothing offensive
- Design to be on front of shirt
Designs need to be submitted by October 31, 2014 at midnight.
Please submit via email or in person to any Board member.
Designs will be voted on for the following five days, online, until November 5 at midnight.
If possible we will also have them available to view at the garden for your consideration.
Any questions? Contact a Board member. Contact information on the website and also in each Weeder.
T-shirts, ideally, will be ready for purchase on December 6 for our Holiday meeting/potluck/party.
Events of Interest to Gardeners
Saturday 25th October at the Natural Gardener 10:00 am.
Preserving the Harvest. Linda Wall demonstrates the basics of freezing, drying and canning.
A site with a multitude of links of interest to gardeners in Central Texas: http://gardeninglaunchpad.com/Aus.html
Vegetables to plant in October
Remainder of the month: Carrots, Endive, Lettuce, Spinach, Turnip, Beets, Chard, Collards, Garlic, Kale, Mustard, Multiplier Onion, Radish, and strawberries.
Officer and Zone Coordinator Contacts - Sunshine Garden
- President - Ila Falvey firstname.lastname@example.org
- Vice-President - Janet Adams email@example.com
- Secretary - Ginny Heilman firstname.lastname@example.org
- Treasurer - Jack Reynolds email@example.com
- Director - Michael Hall firstname.lastname@example.org
- Director - Kay McMurry email@example.com
- Director - Linda Francescone firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 1, Jody Trendler email@example.com
- Zone 2, Katy Davis firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 3, Ludmila Voskov email@example.com
- Zone 4, Ila Falvey firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 5, Mary Gifford email@example.com
- Zone 6, Charlotte Jernigan firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 7, Jing Li email@example.com
- Zone 8, Irina Kaducova firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 9, Cheryl Hazeltine email@example.com
- Zone 10, Christopher Schroder firstname.lastname@example.org
- Weekly Weeder Newsletter - Margaret Powis email@example.com
- Plant Sale - Michael Hall firstname.lastname@example.org
- TSBVI Liason & Volunteer Coordinator - Janet Adams jartdaht@gmailcom
- Plot Rental - Kay McMurry email@example.com
- Carpentry & Repairs - Robert Jarry firstname.lastname@example.org
- Water Leak Repairs - Stewart Nichols email@example.com
- Tools & Wheelbarrows - Bob Easter firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website Coordinator - Sharon Rempert email@example.com
Record Service Hours Online - the Virtual Green Binder