Sunshine Weekly Weeder Newsletter
2 September 2015
TSBVI WORKDAY. A workday to maintain and restore the granite paths in the TSBVI Garden is planned for Saturday, 9/12. This will be a chance to complete your TSBVI hour and help have the TSBVI Garden in good shape for the TSBVI students for this fall. The workday be planned around the All-Gardener meeting. Mark the date on your calendar. More details in next week's Weeder.
Yoga in the garden
Free Introductory Yoga Class at Sunshine!
For those who are new to yoga and would like to relieve stress, knee and back pain. Sign up soon, only 12 spots open!
Six Week Series starting Sept. 22nd - Oct 27th
Tuesday evenings 6pm-7pm
Bring a yoga mat and a towel
If you have any questions, or to reserve a spot, contact Ashley at: firstname.lastname@example.org (512)496-4220
Monarch Appreciation Day
Saturday September 12, 2015 10am - 4pm
Zilker Botanical Gardens 2220 Barton Springs Road Austin, TX
Each fall, hundreds of millions of Monarch butterflies migrate from the United States and Canada to overwintering areas in Mexico and California.The Monarch migration is truly one of the world's greatest natural wonders, yet it is threatened by habitat loss in North America.
Head to Zilker Botanical Garden for a family-friendly, educational, and fun-filled event to celebrate Monarch Butterflies and other pollinators. Enjoy a Pollinator Plant Sale from 10am - 2pm, benefitting Monarch Watch and the Xerces Society.
- Learn about Texas Native Bees, Monarch Waystations, and Butterfly Gardening by attending talks in the Garden Center auditorium, from 11am - 2pm
- Take the kids to the Oak Grove (near the Butterfly Garden) to meet and greet caterpillars and butterflies, see a display bee hive and build a Bee house, make Wildflower Seed Balls and Butterfly Wings, create a Butterfly Mural, and get their faces painted!
- Check out the Silent Auction (in front of Garden Center entrance to the gift shop)
- See Monarch tagging and release in the Doug Blachly Butterfly Trail & Garden.
- Visit Information tables in the Oak Grove to learn about gardening for butterflies, bees, and wildlife.
For those who would like to learn more about invertebrates check out: http://www.xerces.org/
Backyard Basics - Natural Pest Control
Thursday September 10th, 10:00 am- 12:00 pm
1600-B Smith Road, Austin.
For more information contact Texas A & M Agrilife Extension Service - Travis county 512.854.9600
The vegetable gardener's checklist for September:
- Gradually expose vegetable transplants to outdoor conditions, and move them to their final growing location in the garden the latter half of this month. Be sure to provide shade as needed during the first few weeks of establishment.
- Fertilize transplants with fish emulsion or other water-soluble fertilizer every 10-14 days, and do not let them dry out.
- Seed root crops in moist soil; thin to the proper spacing soon after they emerge.
- Plant cool season peas toward the end of the month - this includes English peas, sugar snap peas and snow peas.
- Regularly inspect cole crops for cabbage worms and cabbage loopers, and hand pick or spray with a Bt-containing insecticide. Alternatively, cover plants with row cover as soon as you set them in the garden.
Use indoor fluorescent lights to grow lettuce and spinach seedlings for transplanting to the garden next month.
Vegetables to plant in September
early - mid month: Beans, Summer Squash
Officer and Zone Coordinator Contacts - Sunshine Garden
- President - Jeff Monks email@example.com
- Vice President - Jim Willmann firstname.lastname@example.org
- Secretary - Vacant email@example.com
- Treasurer - Caroline Limaye firstname.lastname@example.org
- Director - Michael Hall email@example.com
- Director - Kay McMurry firstname.lastname@example.org
- Director - Shannon Posern email@example.com
- Zone 1, Jody Trendler firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 2, Katy Davis email@example.com
- Zone 3, Ludmila Voskov firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 4, Ila Falvey email@example.com
- Zone 5, Mary Gifford firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 6, Charlotte Jernigan email@example.com
- Zone 7, Jing Li firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 8, Irina Kadukova email@example.com
- Zone 9, Cheryl Hazeltine firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 10, Christopher Schroder email@example.com
- Weekly Weeder Newsletter - Margaret Powis firstname.lastname@example.org
- Plant Sale - Michael Hall email@example.com
- TSBVI Liason & Volunteer Coordinator - Janet Adams jartdaht@gmailcom
- Plot Rental - Kay McMurry firstname.lastname@example.org
- Compost Coordinator - Janet Adams email@example.com
- Compost Tea - Jennifer Woertz firstname.lastname@example.org
- Education Committee - Shannon Posern email@example.com
- Carpentry & Repairs - Robert Jarry firstname.lastname@example.org
- Water Leak Repairs - Stewart Nichols email@example.com
- Tools & Wheelbarrows - Bob Easter firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website Coordinator - Sharon Rempert email@example.com
Record Service Hours Online - the Virtual Green Binder