Sunshine Weekly Weeder Newsletter
23 February 2017
If you are signed up to receive the Weekly Weeder and have not been receiving it, here is a troubleshooting page to help. If this doesn't help, please let Sharon at email@example.com know. Thanks.
2017 Plant Sale Activities
All Gardeners Meeting
There will be a brief all gardeners meeting Friday (3/3) at 4:30 pm. After this meeting plants may be purchased by plant sale volunteers. The sale will be open until darkish.
Sunshine t-shirts will be available for sale after the meeting. Large size only for $10.00.
Plant Sale - March 4th
Wear your Sunshine t-shirt to the sale. There will also be ties available to identify you as a volunteer.
Save on paper by reading the plant lists on the web site before you come to the sale or using your phone to view the plant information.
The garden will be closed to vehicles starting noon on Friday for safe setup.
Get your Plot in order
Make sure your plot is cleaned up and paths are clear. Thousands of people come to the sale and we want to make a good impression.
Workday - To get ready!
Come for the workday scheduled to get ready for the Plant Sale, Saturday February 25 - 10:00am-2:00pm.For information: Janet or Randy at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you would like to help tidy up the community flower beds contact Ila.email@example.com
Compost bagging will start on Tuesday, 2/28. The goal is to prebag all of the compost. This job requires heavy lifting, 40-50 lbs. There will be instructions at the bagging site i.e. the large mountain of compost.
Gabriel Valley Plant Delivery
Volunteers are needed to unload the plants from Gabriel Valley trucks on Wednesday (3/1) and Thursday (3/2). Gardeners will receive the specific times via email.
Hauler Volunteers needed
More Hauler volunteers are needed. For this job you help customers carry their purchases to their cars. Strength is needed.
Silent Auction Volunteers needed
Gardeners are welcome to donate new/antique items of interest or "works of art". We also need volunteers to man the silent auction table.
Sound System setup Volunteers needed
On Friday evening (3/3) and Saturday help is needed with the sound system for the musicians.
Music Committee Co-Chair needed for 2017 & 2018
Do you love the Austin Americana music scene? Are you a committed member of Sunshine who sees yourself getting more involved in the Plant Sale for 2018? The Music Committee is in need of a 2017 Co-Chair who wants to learn the ropes and become the leader for 2018. Charlotte has done the music for the past 5-7 years...more? Whose counting! It's a very rewarding job but it's time for fresh energy. Please contact me, firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested.
The fantastic band, Bob Slaughter & Laughing Waters, are set and ready to play for on March 4th; this is their 5th year with us! Our newest tradition, a repeat of last year's fabulous & fun "march in" by The Hey Lolly Brass Band is also set and ready. Its going to be a great year for music at the Sunshine Plant Sale!
If you have plants to donate for the pass-along table, please leave them under the benches in the greenhouse or on the tables just outside the greenhouse.
Gallon Pots Needed
If you have any gallon pots bring them to the garden and put them on the porch.
Postcards and Posters
There are a limited number of postcards and posters available that
advertise our spring plant sale. If you have favorite stores, shops
or business where you know you can post a notice please pick one up
in the trailer. If you need more then a few, please contact Janet at
email@example.com. If you
would like to print on your own, copies are available on the web site.
Black & White
Press Release for Distribution - Updated version
Please share this information with your neighborhood association, post on Facebook and email to your friends.
Black Plastic for Common Paths and Paths Between Plots Available
Putting down black plastic and wood chips is an effective way to maintain paths. A supply of 4'x20' strips of heavyweight black plastic for use on common paths and pathways between adjacent plots is in the tool shed under the window on the right as you enter. For better weed suppression, it is recommended the path is partially cleared of Bermuda grass and weeds before putting down the plastic and wood chips. Weed suppression is further enhanced if a layer of cardboard/newspaper/etc. is put under the plastic. The supply is monitored but if is out, please contact Jim Willmann at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Should you have any content to add to the Weeder email your articles or suggestions to email@example.com.
Officer and Zone Coordinator Contacts - Sunshine Gardens
- President - Jeff Monks firstname.lastname@example.org
- Vice President - Jim Willmann email@example.com
- Secretary - Polly Porter firstname.lastname@example.org
- Treasurer - Caroline Limaye email@example.com
- Director - Bill Cason firstname.lastname@example.org
- Director - Lori Dobbin email@example.com
- Director - Randy Thompson firstname.lastname@example.org
Email the board.
- Zone 1, Martin Morales email@example.com
- Zone 2, Katy Davis firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 3, Ludmila Voskov email@example.com
- Zone 4, Ila Falvey firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 5, Mary Gifford email@example.com
- Zone 6, Charlotte Jernigan firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 7, Maria and Philip Wiley email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 8, Shannon Posern email@example.com
- Zone 9, Kerry Howell firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 10, Christopher Schroder
Karl Arcuri email@example.com
- Weekly Weeder Newsletter - Polly Porter firstname.lastname@example.org
- Plant Sale - Randy Thompson & Janet Adams jartdaht@gmailcom
- TSBVI Liaison & Volunteer Coordinator - Janet Adams jartdaht@gmailcom
- Plot Assignment - Kay McMurry email@example.com
- Compost Coordinator - Janet Adams firstname.lastname@example.org
- Education Committee - Shannon Posern email@example.com
- Carpentry & Repairs - Robert Jarry firstname.lastname@example.org
- Water Leak Repairs - Steve Schulz email@example.com
- Tools & Wheelbarrows - Bob Easter firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kitchen Supplies - Anita Keese
(If supplies are needed for events, contact by email or at 512-773-2178)
- Compost Tea - Jennifer Woertz email@example.com
- Micah 6 - Dana Kuykendall firstname.lastname@example.org
- Micah 6 - Mary Gifford email@example.com
- Website Coordinator - Sharon Rempert firstname.lastname@example.org
Record Service Hours Online - Green Binder