Sunshine Weekly Weeder Newsletter
9 February 2017
If you are signed up to receive the Weekly Weeder and have not been receiving it, here is a troubleshooting page to help. If this doesn't help, please let Sharon at firstname.lastname@example.org know. Thanks.
Plant Sale Pre-Sale Activities
Remember, this fundraiser is what keeps our membership fees reasonable and makes our special projects possible.
Workdays - To get ready for the Plant Sale!
Please plan to come for the workdays scheduled to get ready for the
There will be lots to do to make Sunshine shine for all of our visitors.
- Sunday, February 19 - 8:30am - 11:30am
- Saturday, February 25 - 10:00am - 2:00pm
For information: Janet or Randy at email@example.com.
Sunshine needs your help for the plant sale. There are many jobs
so pick your favorite(s). Many volunteers are needed to form the
human conveyor belt to unload and set up plants and bag compost
prior to the sale.
Please to contribute to the success of the plant sale. Thank you.
If you have plants to donate for the pass-along table, please leave them under the benches in the greenhouse or on the tables just outside the greenhouse.
Postcards and Posters
There are a limited number of postcards and posters available that
advertise our spring plant sale. If you have favorite stores, shops
or business where you know you can post a notice please pick one up
in the trailer. If you need more then a few, please contact Janet at
firstname.lastname@example.org. If you
would like to print on your own, copies are available on the web site.
Black & White
Press Release for Distribution
Please share this information with your neighborhood association and any other group you think would have an interest. Press Release
Boxes for the Plant Sale
It's time to start collecting boxes for the plant sale. Ideally, members will collect those boxes that retailers use for display. Excellent choices are those from canned pet food and flats used to hold beer or berries. Not as excellent choices are big boxes. When you do collect those boxes, please place them in the trailer on and around the white tables. This will be ongoing until the plant sale on March 4.
Mushroom Compost - There is still plenty!
The compost will be available to SCG gardeners at a cost of $1.00 per bucket. The money box is located in the hoop house.
The compost comes from Monterrey Mushrooms in Madisonville. Information about mushroom compost.
The following is how Monterrey Mushrooms makes the compost (cut & paste from website):
- Phase I. Straw bedding from horse farms, or baled straw,
protein meal, gypsum and water are mixed together and kept
outdoors to be biochemically converted into the preliminary
food source for the mushroom by the tremendous heat naturally
- Phase II. The compost produced in "Phase I" is mixed with vegetable oil and more water, then filled into wooden trays before "Phase II" starts. Once into the "Phase II" room, the compost is pasteurized to free it of weed molds and insects, then cooled down to room temperature so that the mushroom spawn can be added. A mixture of peat moss, limestone, and water is applied to the top of the tray.
Insect Pests in the garden Program
This Saturday, Feb 11 10:30 at Deep Eddy Community Garden there will be program about insect pests in the garden Everyone is invited. Parking is available at the Deep Eddy Pool parking lot.
Garden Love Letters
Love your garden? AmpleHarvest.org is hosting a "Write a love letter to your garden" contest and you could win a Gardener's Supply Company Gift Certificate!
Master Gardeners Newsletter - The Compost Bin
Note our plant sale is mentioned in the February newsletter as well as some great articles.
Should you have any content to add to the Weeder email your articles or suggestions to email@example.com.
Officer and Zone Coordinator Contacts - Sunshine Gardens
- President - Jeff Monks firstname.lastname@example.org
- Vice President - Jim Willmann email@example.com
- Secretary - Polly Porter firstname.lastname@example.org
- Treasurer - Caroline Limaye email@example.com
- Director - Bill Cason firstname.lastname@example.org
- Director - Lori Dobbin email@example.com
- Director - Randy Thompson firstname.lastname@example.org
Email the board.
- Zone 1, Martin Morales email@example.com
- Zone 2, Katy Davis firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 3, Ludmila Voskov email@example.com
- Zone 4, Ila Falvey firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 5, Mary Gifford email@example.com
- Zone 6, Charlotte Jernigan firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 7, Maria and Philip Wiley email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 8, Shannon Posern email@example.com
- Zone 9, Kerry Howell firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 10, Christopher Schroder
Karl Arcuri email@example.com
- Weekly Weeder Newsletter - Polly Porter firstname.lastname@example.org
- Plant Sale - Randy Thompson & Janet Adams jartdaht@gmailcom
- TSBVI Liaison & Volunteer Coordinator - Janet Adams jartdaht@gmailcom
- Plot Assignment - Kay McMurry email@example.com
- Compost Coordinator - Janet Adams firstname.lastname@example.org
- Education Committee - Shannon Posern email@example.com
- Carpentry & Repairs - Robert Jarry firstname.lastname@example.org
- Water Leak Repairs - Steve Schulz email@example.com
- Tools & Wheelbarrows - Bob Easter firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kitchen Supplies - Anita Keese
(If supplies are needed for events, contact by email or at 512-773-2178)
- Compost Tea - Jennifer Woertz email@example.com
- Micah 6 - Dana Kuykendall firstname.lastname@example.org
- Micah 6 - Mary Gifford email@example.com
- Website Coordinator - Sharon Rempert firstname.lastname@example.org
Record Service Hours Online - Green Binder