Sunshine Weekly Weeder Newsletter
28 January 2015
Our biggest fundraiser each year is the Spring Plant Sale, 7th March, 2015, and we need volunteers to help spread the word. This event helps the garden pay necessary bills and enables the garden sustain itself. We need help to get press releases out to as many suitable locales as possible.
You can help by:
- Please send us organic gardening sites in the Austin area you use on a regular basis. The goal is to send a Press Release to publications or organizations which have a large following and who will support our Plant Sale. We have already sent Press Releases to: Newspapers, TV, Central Texas Gardener, The Natural Gardener, and Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center, Wheatsville. Bob Easter is our point person for publicity. Please send any sites you think will run an announcement to their members. Bob's email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Send a small invite announcement to your email list of
friends, family and co-workers. Please cut and paste
this announcement to your email:
Sunshine Community Garden Certified Organic Spring Vegetable Plant Sale starts at 9 A.M, March 7, 2015. 30,000 Hard to Find Tomatoes, Wicked Hot and Sweet Peppers, Eggplant, Herbs including recommended varieties for our area. Live Music, local vendors, and lots of fun. Bring the whole family. Inspect gardens, visit the chicken coop and take home some Lady Bug Compost.
- Attend your local neighborhood association meetings and announce the sale. It will be important to do this in February, as many of the March meetings will be held too late in March. We have contacted Allandale, Balcones Wood, Brentwood, Brykerwoods, Hyde Northwest Area, HydePark, Rosedale, Old West Austin, Wooten, North Shoal Creek, North University, West Austin, associations. Many of these associations have responded they will either announce the plant sale in the newsletter or their meeting. We can give you some short talking points to be sure and cover at the meeting. But, we must know in advance if you will attend. Please email Bob and let him know. email@example.com.
It's Never to Early to Start Planning your Summer Garden
The lists of tomatoes, peppers, eggplant and tomatillo varieties on sale at the Spring Plant sale is now on the website. You can start choosing which varieties to plant right now. Just go to our website and on the left hand side are the lists.
Update on Trailer renovation.
We still need volunteers to help prime, paint, and clean. Work will probably continue for the next week, possibly finishing about Wednesday. There will be no bathroom available until the work is completed.
Volunteers contact Janet at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Are you Willing to Share your Garden?
Are you a state agency employee or a generous soul with a plot at Sunshine Community Garden? The state agency Wellness program is looking for someone who would allow state employees to use their plot as a teaching garden. The Wellness program may use the plot at regularly scheduled intervals to prepare the soil and plant, with minimal harvesting for demonstration purposes. If you would be so kind as to consider this, please contact Christina at email@example.com or 512-776-6348.
The herbs for the Spring Sale are growing nicely; I even fertilized the larger seedlings yesterday (dill, parsley, etc). The watering has been manageable but as the seedlings get bigger Susan Kramer and I could use help keeping them watered between now and the Spring Sale.
Let me know if you can commit to one or two times a week. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you can help. Please include your name and telephone number.
Thanks for your consideration.
What to Plant in Late January
Broccoli, Cabbage, Carrots, Cauliflower, Kohlrabi, Lettuce, Onion Sets, Peas, and Spinach.
Officer and Zone Coordinator Contacts - Sunshine Garden
- President - Ila Falvey email@example.com
- Vice-President - Janet Adams firstname.lastname@example.org
- Secretary - Ginny Heilman email@example.com
- Treasurer - Jack Reynolds firstname.lastname@example.org
- Director - Michael Hall email@example.com
- Director - Kay McMurry firstname.lastname@example.org
- Director - vacant
- Zone 1, Jody Trendler email@example.com
- Zone 2, Katy Davis firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 3, Ludmila Voskov email@example.com
- Zone 4, Ila Falvey firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 5, Mary Gifford email@example.com
- Zone 6, Charlotte Jernigan firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 7, Jing Li email@example.com
- Zone 8, Irina Kaducova firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 9, Cheryl Hazeltine email@example.com
- Zone 10, Christopher Schroder firstname.lastname@example.org
- Weekly Weeder Newsletter - Margaret Powis email@example.com
- Plant Sale - Michael Hall firstname.lastname@example.org
- TSBVI Liason & Volunteer Coordinator - Janet Adams jartdaht@gmailcom
- Plot Rental - Kay McMurry email@example.com
- Carpentry & Repairs - Robert Jarry firstname.lastname@example.org
- Water Leak Repairs - Stewart Nichols email@example.com
- Tools & Wheelbarrows - Bob Easter firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website Coordinator - Sharon Rempert email@example.com
Record Service Hours Online - the Virtual Green Binder